When a person realizes that Scripture reveals the level of sovereignty that God has over His creation (especially in the area of salvation), I believe that there are two reactions to this realization. These two reactions could also be brought out by asking the question, “if I could demonstrate to you that reformed soteriology and anthropology are both biblical, would you still trust Jesus, honor, serve and love God?” The two reactions are the following:
- Accept what Scripture teaches
- This is the difficult path (I know from experience).
- This response is likely indicative of a regenerate heart.
2. Ultimately reject it and/or fight it
- This response is likely indicative of an unregenerate heart
- If the person makes statements such as, “I could never serve a God like that…”, that is a strong indication that the individual is engaging in idolatry.